Elastic band used to apply pressure on the patient’s extremity in venipuncture and arteriovenous fistula compression procedures.
- Clean the puncture area with an antiseptic disinfectant.
- Place the tourniquet around the upper part of the patient’s extremity to apply pressure and wait for the vein to fill with blood. In hemodialysis procedures, do not do this for more than 15 minutes. In venipuncture procedures, no longer than 3 minutes.
- Introduce the needle into the patient’s vein.
- Collect the blood in an airtight tube or collector attached to the needle.
- Remove the tourniquet from the arm, remove the needle and cover the place with a dressing to stop the bleeding.